Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Podcasting

I've recently bought an Ipod touch and played around with the itunes store features of subscribing to podcasts and being able to creat podcasts using nothing more than a camera and a video editing software. A couple of weeks ago, I was having problems with a Finance course I am taking and simply reading a textbook was not helping me understand completely under what pretext I would use discounted cash flow analysis. I was barely awake during the lecture when the professor was talking about it and it was 11 pm so calling a classmate was also out of the question. I had remembered that UC Sanford had a itunes University page on the itunes store and most of their class lectures were video taped and offered online. I simply went on to the itunes store, searched sanford, browsed the finance section and downloaded the discounted cash flow analysis part which thoroughly explained everything. I thought to myself, my god, this can be a great thing or a horrible thing. One one hand, people like me can go back and review the content and have a reference point to turn back to and on the other hand, students can completely disregard and not go to their lectures!! I think podcasting has some very useful purposes though not only for this, up and coming musical artists will use podcasting to keep in touch with their fan base and keep their fans up to date on new albums upcoming concerts etc. As of now, I subscribe to over 26 podcasts and the beauty is that whenever i connect my device, itunes automatically downloads and copies the newest podcasts to my ipod and removes any previously viewed ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment